- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, remove ends and papery skin, cut in half and slice
- 1 red capsicum, remove seeds and stem, and chop flesh
- 1 green capsicum, remove seeds and stem, and chop flesh
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 tablespoons no added salt tomato paste
- 1 cup salt reduced beef stock
- 250g packet 2-minute brown and wild rice blend
- 1 avocado, remove stone and skin, dice flesh
One Pot Healthy Mexican Beef Mince
Packed full of veges, this is one pot cooking at it’s best! Make a little extra and use the leftovers in toasties, wraps or as a baked potato topper.
It’s this easy
- Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat, add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add mince and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon for 6- 8 minutes or until brown.
- Add tomato paste, stock and ½ a cup of water and bring to a simmer.
- Add rice, reduce heat to medium-low and cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Place in a bowl and top with avocado.
- For extra spice and flavour add smoked paprika, dried oregano and ground cumin to the onions when they are brown. You could also try topping with some fresh coriander, lime and red chill and a dollop of sour cream when serving.