- 3 fennel bulbs
- 2 bunches baby (Dutch) carrots
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 orange, juiced
- Salt and pepper
Carrots and Fennel Baked in Orange Juice and Honey
This lovely citrusy dish is the perfect match with pork, chicken or fish.
It’s this easy
- Cut off the stalks and throw them away but keep the feathery leaves, called ‘fronds’. Cut a small slice of fennel from the base and remove the outer layer of fennel and throw away or save to put in soups or stews. Cut the fennel bulb in half lengthwise, place the fennel cut side down and slice lengthwise.
- Cut the tops off the carrots and scrub well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add butter, carrots and fennel. Add the orange juice, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan with a lid or some foil and turn the heat down to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Remove lid and cook on a high heat until the juice has all evaporated.
- Place on a plate and sprinkle with fennel fronds.
- Fry some whole fennel seeds for one minute before adding the fennel and carrots. Grate the orange rind and add with some honey when the carrots are cooking.