- 400g carrots, cut in half lengthways, then sliced into half moon shapes
- ½ cauliflower, cut into florets (approx half the size of your fist) of the same size
- 2 cobs of sweet corn, cut the kernels
- 300g macaroni pasta
- 60g butter or spread
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 2 ¼ cups milk
- 250g cottage cheese
- ⅓ cup grated tasty cheese
Carrot and Cauliflower Macaroni Cheese
A classic mac and cheese but this one's packed full of veggies.
It’s this easy
- In a saucepan of boiling water cook the carrot for 15-20 minutes until tender. Remove the carrots with a slotted spoon and put the carrots in a food processor, you could also use a blender or stick blender.
- Add the cauliflower and cook for 10 minutes until tender, add the corn and cook for 2 more minutes. Drain the water off by pouring the cauliflower and corn into a colander.
- Process the carrots until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180°c.
- Cook the pasta in a saucepan of boiling water until just tender, drain off the water and add the cauliflower and corn.
- Melt the butter or spread in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and slowly pour in the milk, stirring all the time until everything is combined. Place the pan back on the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Combine cottage cheese, half of the tasty cheese, carrot puree and vegetables and pour it all into a large oven proof dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with a side of rocket.
- For an extra cheesy bake add an extra 1 cup of grated parmesan.